Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

export data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvi

Technical User
May 26, 2003
NL
I export data from SQL server 2000, 2 views to SQL server 2008 database. These views: the one has over 30000 rows and the other over 100000 rows. Both SQL Server I login via the windows authentication. I export 2 views from SQL server 2000 Database\All Task\Export data to the SQL Server 2008. It seems fine, because during running it has status ... rows added ... and it is finished, has no error. But when I look at the destination server I cannot find the 2 views. how is this to be explained?

Have you tried going to the 2008 database and doing an import? SQL Server 2000 may not properly recognize a 2008 database.

Further you don't import and export views, you import and export the tables involved inthe views. Views are just queries not data.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

As SQLSister said, all you are doing is exporting the 'data'. If you want the views, you need to create a script of each view and then run that CREATE VIEW script on the SS2008 server. To create the script, go to the view, right click on it, go to All Tasks..., then choose Generate SQL Script.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back