Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export data from betrieve 5 to SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagesh5286

Programmer
Aug 25, 2003
MY
dear all,

as i m very new to Betrieve 5, I am facing difficulties in importing the data to SQL server.

Is there any way/method that i can follow?

hope to get a reply ... i am really desperate !!

thanx in advance
nagesh5286

Try using btsearch - there are various threads on the forum relating to this...

i tried to use the btsearch but its asking me for the DDF file location which i don't have ... or am i pointing to a wrong path?

btw, just a comfirmation, do i need to have btrieve installed in my pc? actually, the system that we are using ( a payroll system) uses this btrieve.

thanx in advance

regards
nagesh5286

If you don't have a ddf then you could try looking at Btrieve's own utilities there's a DOS one called BUTIL that has a -SAVE option you can do BUTIL -SAVE filename.btr fielname.sav. There is a windows version as well. It would probably be best if you did have btrieve on your PC. YOu might go back to the vendor and ask them if they have any utilities.

BTW I'd be careful as payroll is a touchy subject.

If your data contains binary data then the butil will provide output that you cannot read. BtSearch does allow you to analyze the structure and build the DDF files. Once built then it will export to dbase or ascii.

Gil

You might want to try out a program from Classic Software for exporting to SQL Server. It goes directly from Btrieve to SQL Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back