Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export/Create .pdf with Crystal ?? Plug In ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

markajem

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
CR Professional: Product Type: Full
Version: 8.5.0.217

We have heard that there may be a Plug In product that will allow you to write/export a crystal report to a .pdf file. Has anyone heard of this or know anything about it?

Thanks
Mark

Mark
Email: markanas333@hotmail.com

PDF is one of the standard export formats supported by CR 8.5

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Adobe/Acrobat Writer is not listed in the Format dropdown list when I go to export the report.

Thanks

Mark

I agree with Ido, that Acrobat Format (PDF) is one of the standard formats in Crystal 8.5, but you might want to consider the following.

This is an excerpt from the Help file "In addition to the standard export format types installed on your machine you may find additional export format types are available to you. These are determined by the DLL files on your local machine." So if extra format types can be available due to the DLLs on a machine, then I think it would stand to reason that standard formats could be unavailable due to the DLLs on a machine. So something may have happened to corrupt the neccessary DLLs for Acrobat, I would suggest going out to Adobe and downloading their most current version of Acrobat reader and if that doesn't help you might even want to try reinstalling Crystal.

I don't think installing Acrobat reader would help in any way.

However, reinstalling Crystal should solve the issue.

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

markajem, you should get in touch with Crystal Enterprises and check that you have the latest patches and dlls. As the others said, PDF/Acrobat is standard.

Since the Acrobat reader costs nothing and has lots of uses, you should certainly download it if you haven't got it already.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Thanks all. I will have the MIS Director look into it.

Mark

Mark

Yes, you're missing a DLL. Maybe your installation was Custom but the export formats weren't selected.

Anyway, in the Common Files folder (probably C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\bin) you should see a series of DLL's with the prefix crxf, which stands for Crystal Reports Export Format. The second element of the name is descriptive, and should be obvious.

On my machine, I have the following:
[tt]
crxf_html.dll 88 KB (exports to HTML .html)
crxf_pdf.dll 381 KB (exports to PDF .pdf)
crxf_rft.dll 161 KB (exports to Rich Text .rtf)
crxf_wordw.dll 161 KB (exports to Word Doc .doc)
crxf_xls.dll 449 KB (exports to Excel .xls)
[/tt]

We had a similar problem here with missing export options on some machines... I can't remember why it happened in the first place (CRDev922 install didn't include them automatically, or something.)

You may have to run the Install again, and modify the installation to include those export formats. Not all the necessary DLL's exist on the install CD in useable format. You can find the PD, RTF and XL export DLL's in the folder \CRDev922\ProgramF\CommonFi\CRYSTAL\20\bin and you can rename the HTML version from crxfhtml.dll to crxf_html.dll, but I don't see the Word version on the CD anywhere. It's the same size as the Rich Text export DLL, so who knows, maybe they are identical. It may already be installed on your system, though.

Unless you can copy the installed DLL's from someone else's machine, it's probably safer to modify your installation from the CD. It isn't necessary to re-install CR from scratch.

Good luck.

~ Brice

NOTE:

Oops! I failed to notice the original poster was running CR 8.5.... I'm on 9.22, so the DLL sizes I listed could well be different. My oversight.... Sorry!

The basic concept still applies, though.

Thanks so much.

Mark

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back