Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export a table with all data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpie

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
GB
I am currently trying to export a table that includes a memo field which is linked to another table. If I view the table in Visual FoxPro6 or Access97 it only contains the text 'memo'. However, I can see the full record if I run a report or query.

How can I export this table so that it includes the data in the linked field? I would like to use Access to read it.

Thankyou

I am a little confused. What are you trying to export to?
Or are you just wanting to view data through Access?
You say you can see the memo data with a query, query through Access , FoxPro?

access has external views that can be created. Attitude is Everything

Thanks for replying danceman,

Basically I would like a table that displays all the data.

If I just view the table in Visual FoxPro there is one field that looks like it only contains the text 'memo', if I double-click each record in the memo field the full information is displayed.

I need the full text in the memo field to be displayed along with the other fields.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's driving me crazy!

That is the way memo fields work. Use the Memo field type to store blocks of data. The Memo field contains a ten-byte reference to the actual contents of the memo. The actual size of memos, however, depends on the amount of data you enter into them. Data from Memo fields of records in a table are stored in a separate file with the same name as the table and an .FPT extension. Memo fields are limited only by the amount of available disk space.

So, if you want to display the data on a form or grid use the EditBox Control. Because the data in the memo field is of undetermine length the editbox was made to allowing scrolling and editing of the text. You can use this on a form or in a grid. Attitude is Everything

OK, I understand.
I am doing this as we are converting an existing fundraising database to Raiser's Edge which uses SQL. For conversion purposes I need to provide them with all our data in tables. Most of them have been converted without a problem except this one.

Is there any way to convert this memo field to an editbox? There are approx. 750,000 records in this table and it is pretty vital!

Thanks for your help.

Excellent, problem solved!

Thanks for your help.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back