Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer very slow opening network shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

substitute

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
GB
While my Win 2k Pro laptop is fine browsing it's own disks, when I use Explorer to browse a network share (as a mapped drive or as a "Network Place") it is terribly slow.

Looking at Task Manager and the network card properties Explorer is using 80-90% of CPU time and moving tens or hundreds of thousands of packets across the network for several minutes.

At home I have a 10Mbit network with win98 PCs as file servers and the system is usable, but at a clients office with a 100Mbit network to a WinNT server it is horrendous - every time I click on a file in explorer off it goes again for 10 minutes or so.

I've tried disabling the AV software with no effect. I've also compared my TCP/IP proerties with other systems and can't see any that are unusual. Accessing a share on the laptop from anotheer system works fine.

Any ideas folks?

Are there a large number of files and folders in the subdirectories of the shared folder? I believe that Explorer reads the entire directory structure of the folder when you first open it. The more files you have the longer it will take to read the structure.

Slow network response and heavy network traffic can also cause slow reads.

I agree with your point, and yes there are a lot of folders/files on the fast server share. However, other users connected to the same server share access it almost instantly, while I get significant delays even when accessing small shares.

I thought it was my AV software but when I disabled the AV it was still just as slow.

I wondered if it could be some sort of fast access indexing service that shouldn't be indexing network folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back