Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer starting problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingit

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
NZ
Hello All

I have and XP Pro installation that has had spyware removed. The problem now is when the user logs on explorer will not start (no desktop). This happens to all users. My guess is the registry is broken. Which keys need to be looked at to start explorer?

Thanks

Try Safe Mode and see what happens? Try running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Can you start Task Manager via ctrl+alt+del, or the Run box via Windows Key + R? Task Manager has a Run box under the File Tab. Type Explorer in the box and press Enter.

When you finally get into Explorer or even with the first loaded Regedit, check out this location in the Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Check that the Value @ Shell = Explorer.exe and not some other.exe.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Hello

Thanks for the reply. In the end I ran a repair from the XP disc and it sorted out the issue

At least you are "back in business", and perhaps a little bit wiser. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back