Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explorer problem killed windows..some help please guys.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfused

Technical User
Jan 27, 2001
US
Ok this is the deal. My buddy runs me and a compac. Today he was trying to uninstall internet explorer for some reason, I have no idea.

He said when he hit uninstall he got prompted to update explorer, or trouble shoot and fix, or something to that matter.

When he did this and restarted windows comes on, but nothing is there, no desktop except the bg pic, no task bar, no nothing. Hit any keys, does nothing. Windows is basically on, but not there. Can't do system restore, because he can't get to anything. Nothing is working. Shut down the computer and started in safe mode, same thing, nothing shows up.

Guys any ideas as to what happened?

Can we restore the registry or something from dos mode?

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

If you use a boot disk to get to pure DOS mode, you can type:
scanreg /restore
which displays a list of available backup files, sorted by the date and time the backup was created. That way you can probably undo whatever was done to the registry, basically the same way that System Restore does in Me.

More info on the scanreg util is at:

I think you're SOL without the boot disk--it's the only way with ME. Time to format, and remember to put in a floppy when it prompts to Create a Rescue Disk during your next installation of WinME!

Maybe this link to a Boot Disk Maker program can help you make one if you can reach your friend:

Another option I do when I screw up my computer is to repaire damaged files with the original system restore disk.

I have done this a few times. instead of reinstall or reformat there should be an option to repair only.

GL

Walter

Good point, it's a Compaq. Walt is speaking of the CD RROM that came with your computer, not a 3.5" floppy.

Turns out guys he had to go with the re-install, he had some work to do and couldn't wait to get fixed.

He tried the recovery on the disk that came with the pc, but he kept getting error messages about image file was unrecoverable or something like that.

Anyways thanks for your time, and yes now after his install, and re-install of all his software, he made a boot disk :)

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back