Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer not showing winnt dir

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesc02

MIS
Oct 25, 2001
US
I have a windows 2000 server running SP4 with all the current Hotfixes from Microsoft.
Recently certain directories have become inaccessible by Windows explorer, namely C:\WINNT and C:\Program files (also in the control panel add remove programs will not open. In explorer I can see the number of files listed at the bottom but nothing shows up in the display.I can view other files and directories.
I am able to enter the above mentioned directories with a DOS prompt.
I have run chkdsk(no errors found), chkntfs (no errors found).
This problem is possibly linked to a virus.
Has anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it?

First check to make sure that these folders are not flagged as HIDDEN. You can access a hidden directory from the command line if you know the path.

The folders are not fagged as hidden and the files under the folder aren't either.

I found the problem with the files not showing up in explorer, removed desktop.ini and folder.htt in each directory and everything came back. Now for finding a fix for the add remove programs problem.

Thanks for your reply

Can you open add remove by using Start -> Run -> Appwiz.cpl
I suggest running a good antivirus, not Nortons or McAfee I'm 99% sure they wont find that virus, you may need to do it in safe mode.

Thanks for the reply. I found the problem the virus had removed svchost and that was why the processes could not run. I replaced the file ran a scan cleaned up the virus and things seem to be back in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back