Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer-Invalid Page Fault-Shock Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Help! Anytime we try to use or play anything involving ShockWave, we get an invalid page fault in Explorer.....I have tried reinstalling IE 6, no fix. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling ShockWave, no fix. It starts to load SW, and halfway thru, page fault. I have to click CLOSE about 30 times to get back to a regular screen. It will not use CLOSE as a click. Meaning, I click CLOSE and the box remains.

I have a new IBM clone 850, 2456 Ram and cable modem...20 gig drive...everything else is super. Kids want to play games, and IE vs. SW will not let us.

Hi SquidSister,

It would help if you could give us the actual error message that comes up, plus what steps did you use when you say 'uninstalled shockwave'.

This will help a lot.

Cheers, <!-- Killroy -->

Open up Explorer, and browse to the shockwave folder, probably under Program Files.
Find swflash.ocx and delete/rename it.
Go back and download and install shockwave again. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech...??????

If you're going to throw advice at people without waiting for their error messages...no offence, but you'd be better off saying nothing at all if you're going to be lazy about it. I'm not saying that you don't know you're stuff, but swflash.ocx is not in a shockwave folder and is certainly not under Program Files.

C:\windows\system\macromed\flash is the actual location

SS - Shockwave uninstaller here
Support faq here

Then go to to test and update players then.

Regards,

<!-- Killroy -->

Ah, I was half asleep. I knew it was in windows\system, just messed up.
anyhow, the .ocx file is the one causing the headaches, and must be deleted manually before reinstalling shockwave. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I might try this route:

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
Right-click on the Shockwave entry and click Remove.

Backup the registry and or export the following key
Go to Start>Run, type regedit. navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units
find the key that contains Shockwave and delete it.

Now go back to macromedia.com and have it re-install

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back