Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer hangs on right click

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbordeaux

Technical User
Feb 28, 2005
FR
I have a problem with Windows Explorer hanging when I right click a file, or left click and try to select move/copy/delete etc.

I have run adaware, antivirus, and sfc (thinking that some of the system files might be corrupted), but I still have the problem.

Any ideas

When you right click on a file and it hangs, it's trying to access some software that's written itself into your explorers code. Like for instance Winzip does. If you right click on a file, you can select, "Add to Zip" for instance.

What you need to do, is start up in safe mode. Check in your registry which app is starting up. Also check if the problem still persists in Safe mode. Remove everything from your startup.

Good luck

Thanks. The hang problem is now solved!

I have another question: despite clearing out the startup, I still find that I have 42 processes running in the background, some of them (like svchost.exe) multiple times. Is this normal? What should I do about it?

Don't worry about svchost.exe. It's a system process :
I got this when googling for a better description :

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated

You'll propably see a couple, one is for NETWORK SERVICES and one is for local services. Ignore them, it's part of windows.

You might want to go to to check vulneribility on yours.

Check your windows startup for anything that might start up with windows and remove it.

I use a nifty program called system mechanic to handle all of this automatically. I think you can download the trial version from
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back