Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer hanging on right click

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDiercks

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
When I right click on a file in explorer, it will hang for at least 30 seconds. I will get an hour glass, then after about 20 to 30 seconds, the properties menu will finally show up. This only happens when I am using expolrer. It also hangs when trying to open some files from explorer such as text documents. But, if I right click on an icon on my desktop, the menu will open immediately. What could be causing this? IT is unbelieveablely frustrating!

I have no applications running in the background, although I do have 24 processes running. They are: cidaemon.exe(?), cntupd.exe(?), webshotsTray.exe(webshots), pntiomon.exe(pccillin), weather.exe(weatherbug), aim.exe(AIM), iTouch.exe (keyboard), atiptaxx.exe(video card), em_exec.exe(?), webtrapNT.exe(pccillin), pop3trap.exe(pccillin), explorer.exe, wanmpsve.exe(?), tmntsrv.exe(?), snmp.exe(?), cisvc.exe(?), spoolsv.exe(printer?), svchost.exe, lsass.exe(?), services.exe, winlogon.exe, csrss.exe(?), smss.exe(?), system.

Most of these I know what they are, but some of them I have no clue. Could any of these be the cause of a hang? Thank you for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back