Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explorer.exe stops running after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyPalmer

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2005
US
I was using the SBCYahoo install CD, but after the installation windows loads, but then explorer.exe stops running. I can load apps using the task manager, but cannot get to the restore functionality. I used "last good configuration" and am still getting the same result, the desktop loads, the icons, processes, quick launch, and then BOOM explorer.exe stops running. I am running chkdsk /r currently but thought you guys might have a solution should that fail. I was also thinking of expanding explorer.ex_ should this not work.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Monty Palmer
President
Paltechs

ran chkdsk /r and then restarted the machine. Getting an error : "The instruction at 0x00b414ba referenced memory at 0x00b414ba. The memory could not be written". OK to terminate, cancel to debug.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Monty Palmer
President
Paltechs

will also run successfully in safe mode. Every time I get an error, it is telling me that the instruction at one memory location referenced memory at the same location.

Please any help, or am I being ignored for recommending knoppix when it was no help at all?

Monty Palmer
President
Paltechs

i would first try removing the sbc software within safe mode, if you havent already.

in safe mode, in the event viewer, are there any "winlogon" entries that detail what, if any, problems chkdsk found?

Thanks jimp56, but I already uninstalled The Broadjump Client garbage, and there was not anything else that was added to the uninstall list. The install routine said it could not see the modem which is why I aborted the install. Need to reset the router becuase it is set to work as a bridge currentyl.

Anyhow, ran virus scans, ms spyware, ad-aware, and nothing. All restore points fail. I am thinking that I am going to have to list the processes that are starting in regular mode that are not starting in safe mode, and only allow them to start one at a time to see where the conflict arises. Not looking forward to today.

I just find it strange that the memory error always says that the referenced address is the same as the destination address. I thought that is how it is supposed to happen, and all research in this results in errors from different addresses. Also ran MS mem diagnostic in detail mode and all 11 tests pass.

Any other ideas will be really welcome.

Thank everyone.

Monty Palmer
President
Paltechs

I've had this issue with VPN clients installed and other softwares trying to add to your LSP stack. Ended up removing the VPN and resetting the LSP with WINSOCKFIX or LSPFIX (search these forums for the links for the software to those two utilities).

I then reinstalled them and all was fine, but I found that too many LSP stacks eventually give your problems. My most common would be that error AND like if the DNS would stop resolving... both are tied to the LSP issue.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back