Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explorer.exe errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyrlath

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2001
US
Windows 2000 SP2, PII400, 256mb ram.

All of a sudden (someone may have deleted files, Im not certain), the machine in question began throwing up errors when copying/cutting/pasting files through explorer. The error is:
Explorer.exe has generated errors and will be close by windows.
Also the evnt log lists:
EVent ID: 1002 The shell has stopped responding and will be closed by windows.

I have tried repairing the installation etc, to no avail. I looked at the DrWatson log, which is huge, and I cant delve any information from it. Anyone have some helpful suggestions? THanks in advance,

Hi Nyrlath!!

This error sometimes can be caused by shell extensions that are installed when you install Allaire Homesite or Cold Fusion.

Look for a Cfshellftprds.dll or Cfssvradmin.dll file on your computer and delete them. Then restart the PC.

Hey,

I'm having the same problem only when I launch non-Microsoft applications; i.e. when I use OfficeXP everything is normal, but when I use Nero Burning or Adobe Reader I get the error. Definitely ain't an anti-virus application as I dont have one; definitely don't need reformatting as I've just done that, and definitely don't need to upgrade to IE6 as I've got that installed just today. I heard folks say uninstall some other applications, but I need them all, besides they are new applications, all I have installed is:

* AOL 7.0
* Acrobat Reader 5.0
* Nero 5
* Real Player
* WS_FTP
* Roxio Easy CD Creator 5
* OfficeXP Pro Developer
* IE6
* Service Pack 1 + Critical Updates
* (soon installing Visual Studio .NET)

I need all of the above applications and have just formatted the harddisk a week ago and have done scandisk
and defrag. I have no background processes at all - my taskbar has zero programs running in it - not a single icon!
But still I cant get rid of this problem and I'm going mad.
My computer specification is:

* Intel Socket 7 233MMX
* 128MB EDO RAM
* 8.4GB HD (6GB free)

Computer is highly tweaked and runs very fast for its age of hardware, specification is not a problem; it takes almost the same time to launch WordXP on this computer compared to my P4 1.8GHz running WinXP.

How can I get rid of this explorer.exe problem? Someone please help! I'm going mad!

Thanks,
karmafree.

Hey patyb,

I just now have installed SP2 and all of my non-Microsoft applications have stoped working. However, I uninstalled them and re-installed them, did a defrag, and now everything seems to be working! Hooray!
But for how long?

Thanks,
karmafree.

Karmafree!!

Im glad it worked... I had the same problem with one of my computers and get rid of it with SP2, since then I dont get any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back