Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer.exe crashes when listing directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have the problem that my explorer.exe hangs and then crashes when opening the explorer and wanting to view the files.
The directory listing doesn't come up. Explorer just crashes.
Same with Photoshop. i wanted to save something in photoshop, wanted to open the Save As... dialogue and after that it crashed.

CAn anyone please help ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

La-Magra

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?) and load the "Last known good configuration" option.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks

It works in safe mode.
but back in normal mode it doesn't work again.

Did system recovery but that didn't help.
Also tried checkdisk and it didn't give me any errors to handle.

La-Magra

What software have you loaded recently (if any) that might be interfering with Explorer?

Have a look at all your Startup programs (by typing MSCONFIG in the Run Box). See if you have anything strange in there.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Okay...

My friend fixed it at his PC.

It was the office service pack which interferred with everything. He did a system recovery of that date and then it worked.

Thanks a lot

La-Magra

I am experienceing this exact problem and only with JPEG files opened from explorer or from Adobe Photoshop elements. When the folder is listing the files, it either drops out and restarts explorer.exe with no error message or I get an explorer.exe application error. The event viewer lists it as an application error faulting module ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.0. Recently had McAfee detect Aplore virus on system. Reviewed all info I can find on Aplore and system does not appear to have any files remaining related to virus. Will also get explorer application error "The instruction at 0x77f67f26 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be "written" or "the instruction at 0x77f554co referenced memory at 0x00159ffo the Memory could not be "read". This happens while explorer is listing files in a folder being opened. TIFF files list much faster and open with Adobe Elements without any problem. System restore does not resolve problem. Have set JPEG file associations to open with Adobe Photoshop. If this is related to office service pack, what steps were taken to resolve?

I'm acutally using Adobe Elements and do not have Photoshop 7.0.1 or any earlier versions on my system. The same problems occur when opening the JPEG files using Windows Photo and Fax Viewer so I tend to believe it is not a Photoshop issue. I can check if that patch would apply to Elements. I also lost most of my restore points when cleaning out the Aplore virus as the McAfee clean for the virus advised turning off System Restore and then running restore. So I don't have a way to go back to a time before the virus infected my system. However, it appears the virus was on the system for approximately 4 weeks before I picked it up and one of the files created by Aplore was called "explorer.exe" It was based in the Windows\System folder. A second file with the virus was Aphex.jpg. This only appears to affect the JPEGS. However as I am a wedding photographer, this severely limits my ability to edit client images. Do you have any insight as to how the office service pack could be related to this issue? Thanks for any and all help offered!!

No knowledge of XP Office Service Pack, sorry. All I can think of is that you try and get a second opinion via a free online virus scan and just make sure your system is really clean. Have you thought about uninstalling your editing programs and re-installing them incase there is some corruption there?

You can get an online scan for viruses, trojans and variants at:

1. Symantec (Norton Anti-virus) Security Check - Free on-line scan

Click the 'Run Virus Check' or 'Run Security Check' button.
or
Click 'Find out today if you are safe'. Then click 'Scan for Viruses'.

2. Trend Micro (PC-cillin) - Free on-line Scan - very good at detecting 'joke' viruses
A small Download Required

3. Panda's Active Scan

Will try the additional virus scans. Thanks for the advise. Am also getting the error "E:\ is not a valid Win32 application." This came up after using the Windows Photo and Fax Viewer with a different user logged in on the PC. Task Manager identifies the process that is generating the error message as explorer.exe. I think this application is corrupted. Do you know of a way to get a clean copy of explorer.exe? Windows Photo and Fax Viewer is a part of that application. I was unable to locate a downloadable file at the microsoft site. Also do you know of a way to reload XP on the machine? Thanks for all help.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

You will have to redo all your windows updates but your files and programs will be saved.

If you want to go down the "clean install" path you will lose everything, but this is often the best solution as far as stability is concerned. Just make sure you have backed up all your files.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

I was having the same problems but after i was given some spurious advice from the guy at the local computer shop ( I think he was trying to sell me a new motherboard ) I had to reinstall XP from new and since then the problem seems to have gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back