Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer.exe crashes opening certain folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagrath

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Recently I have had difficulty opening a couple of folders on my system -- windows explorer just hangs, and I have to close it using task manager, which, of course, causes my whole desktop to vanish. Even when it comes back, explorer doesn't seem to work well, and often hangs again. The folders that seem to cause this hold either jpegs or video files, and quite a few of them, but this problem has arisen only recently, though I can't relate it to any spacific hardware or software changes. Other folders with media files will open, though. I'm running XP Pro, on a 1.7mhz P4 system with 512Meg of Ram. Any ideas?

If you have yahoo messenger installed go into add/remove programs and remove everything that says yahoo except the messenger. If not, do you have AOL or MSN 8? If so try removing them go back to previous version open the run box type in chkdsk /r choose yes to schedule a repair, reboot when the blue screen comes up with the countdown put in your xp disk If none of the above exist try just the chkdsk /r

Thanks. I have recently run chkdsk, but did not specify /r, and did not use the XP disk. I do have AOL 8 on the system, but the problem didn't start with its installation. I don't have Yahoo or MSN installed. I'll see if this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back