Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer error in <unknown>

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus300

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
AU
OK, here's the problem:
Double-clicking on My Computer/My Documents/My Network Places on the desktop results in &quot;Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>&quot;. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and killing Explorer remidies the problem (for a while, anyway, after which the same thing happens).
Also Start->Run, &quot;\\computername&quot; does the same thing.
The computer has been upgraded from Win98 SE to WinME; the problem was occurring with 98 SE as well.

This is really annoying, please help. [Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
World-Wide Alliance of Evil and Twisted People
[red]&quot;Experimentation by Example is the best learning tool&quot; - Exodus300[/red]
[pc3]

I'm sure that there are 100's of potential reasons that this can happen, so let's just start with these two!!

Does the same thing happen in safe mode? If it doesn't, then look at msconfig and start narrowing down softare/services until you find it.

Are you running an updated anti-virus prog?
----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
&quot;A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.&quot;

Yes, the problem still occurs in safe mode. [Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
[red]&quot;Experimentation by Example is the best learning tool&quot; - Exodus300[/red]
[pc3]

Just for grins and giggles, go to Start, run, type MSCONFIG
Click on &quot;system.ini&quot; tab, expand the Boot section and find &quot;shell&quot;. It should say shell=explorer.exe. Is that the case? (if there is anything after explorer.exe, then you have a virus).

Also, don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember something about this on a machine I worked on......when I shut it down w/ a CD in the drive, CD is taken out and windows is started back up, then it would get your problem.

Also had one that was caused by EZ CD Creator software. still happened in safe mode becuase it actually replaced some drivers.......I think it was actually Direct CD.

Other than that, I am out of suggestions for now....I'll dig a bit more...

Good luck ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
&quot;A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.&quot;

Uninstalling WinMe (back to 98SE) seems to have fixed the problem so far. [Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
[pc3]

I'm getting the same type of message. When I right click &quot;My Computer&quot; and highlight explore I get the same error box. Click ok and most of my systray icons disappear. I believe this all started after an upgrade to IE6 from IE5.5. I have not found how to resolve it yet. I've searched quite a bit and haven't really seen any resolutions yet.

I keep getting &quot;Explorer has caused an error in MSHTML.DLL&quot; when I double-click on My Documents and other folders. I have not found any solutions yet. I have extracted both Explorer.exe and MSHTML.DLL from the .CAB files and no difference. I think I will upgrade to XP to see if the problem goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back