Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer eating memory and using bloody CPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanbloom

Technical User
Apr 22, 2005
GB
Every so often, Explorer starts using up around 30% of the CPU. I have to quit explorer and then restart it up fresh to fix it.

I can't find any spyware or viruses... where could the problem lie?

Thanks

What version of IE are you running and what AV & AS apps?

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

Hiya
Sorry, I didn't say in the original, but I'm talking about Windows Explorer rather than IE. I always avoid IE and use Firefox instead, but Explorer.exe is the problem here :)

Thanks

download avg anti spyware and run a scan

(delete anything it finds)

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I've run Anti Virus but without avail...

Dianchecht - how do you mean with network drives?
It's logged onto a domain and has access to a network drive mapped to Z:

Check the paths of these processes, both are vital to the computer.

C:\WinNT\System32\Svchost.exe or C:\Windows\System32\Svchost.exe.

C:\Windows\Explorer.exe or C:\WinNT\Explorer.exe.

If the path differs, you may have a bug. Not sure still what AV & AS apps you ran but go to:

You can download free their AV, AS and their Anti-Rootkit. Be sure to check for updates before running these apps. You should also download these other free apps:

and/or

The 1st site, Process Explorer, gives more details than Windows Task Manager and may be a help in finding out what's gobbling up your CPU. The last 2 will clean cookies, temp files & a lot more junk off your HD.
If it is a bug, disable System Restore before removing it. This will clear all previous restore points. You don't want to re-introduce the pest to your system if you use that option. After you're sure the bug is gone, you can enable System Restore & set a new restore point.
If you want, download HijackThis to its own folder but run Scan only and post the log to this thread.

If it's not a bug, then it's probably a corrupt file that's causing the problem.
Hope this helps!

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

Thanks for your help on that Sir Black - you're great! Thanks for the effort you put into your reply :)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back