Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer doesn't refresh when CDROM inserted

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsimps

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2001
US
When I insert a CDROM the file display does not refresh, nor when I remove it. I have to select "View >> Refresh" from the menu before the display updates in the file browser. This problem has been around a while, can't find anything in the registry to control it. Any tips for where to check? I have run MS regclean, etc.

Thanks in advance.

This fault has been around since Windows 3.1 ... Try using F5 instead of view / refresh ....

Thanks anyway, but this does NOT happen on my 2nd computer. I was looking for a technical answer relating to the registry.

Not Sure if this will help you but it the only thing I could find.

Automatic Window Refresh (Windows 9x and NT)
Normally when the contents of a window change you may need to wait a few seconds, or press F5, to refresh the display to see the updated information. This tweak configures the system to perform faster automatic updates.
Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, named "UpdateMode" and set it to equal "0" for faster updates.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

Settings:
Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update]
Name: UpdateMode
Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value: default = 1

gpalmer.. thanks for the tip.. when I went to the reg location, it had as a note the winguides.com web page that indicates the same as info as your post...weird.

This solved the biggest problem. Although the display still does not update (it will with an F5), the system knows a new CDROM has been inserted. I can click on it and it will open without doing a refresh.

Thanks for your post.

Thats cause I copied it from the WinGuides software that I have. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back