Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explorer and ie7 cause windows installer window to pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7zr

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
Running XP Pro. All updates. When I first click on ie7 to open it as it is opening I see 2-3 times the Windows Installer window open and close. IE7 then funtions normally. This does the same thing with explorer. The event viewer shows the event viewer shows this error:

Detection of product '{7A98645C-F749-4A4A-9A3D-F3E725ECC6EA}', feature 'AlwaysInstall' failed during request for component '{828E5D12-F1C9-4588-B5A9-176C2ABD1DD7}'

Thanks for the information. I tried both of your suggestions. I was limited even in safe mode to delete some files from prefetch but the installer pop up continues.

have you tried to uninstall ie7, then install it again?

These might indicate some malware that needs to be removed?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido" now called "AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5"

Windows Defender

I have run spyware checkers and run windows defender. It has not and did not find anything. I finally gave up and since this was on a backup machine I reformatted and did a clean install. I think the problem had to do with the MS Office XP Pro eventhough it showed up when explorer or internet explorer started. At this time all seems ok. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back