Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploding Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordRocks

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
CA
This is probably simple but I'm having trouble figuring it out. I want to take a picture of a balloon and divide it into a number of parts in Photoshop. Then I want to take those individual parts, put them together in After Effects 5.5 and create what looks like the balloon flying into pieces when it blows up as each part flies in a different direction. When I tried it I couldn't figure out how to get each of the pieces lined up without a lot of manually moving them. Is there any advice on how to do this so the pieces are lined up when I import them to the AE timeline? I'd like each piece to be jagged looking and have managed that. Also, is there a quick, easy way to divide the picture into a designated number of pieces so that each piece can be put on an individual layer even if they are not irregular? Thanks for any help.
.....Gord

First, a balloon pop is really only a frame long, and the pieces usually fall out of frame (even mylar sheets) relatively quickly; so I wouldn't knock myself out on tiny pieces (unless it isn't a balloon).

Also: when a balloon pops, it's usually a couple big chunks, or a blow out: a tear. It usually doesn't explode like a grenade would.

Aligning Photoshop Layers

All you have to do to align the layers is import the entire Photoshop Document as a COMPOSITION. In AE 5.5, when you import any document, you'll see different options, based on the capabilities of the file.

In the case of a Photoshop (PSD) or Illustrator (AI) file, you'll get an option to import the document as a "Composition". When you check that box, the layers will come in just as they were in the Photoshop project.

Be sure to name the layers appropriately BEFORE you import the PSD. AE will link directly to those layer names in AE 5.5, and changing them in the PSD will throw off the AE project.

Photoshop: Dividing the image

In Photoshop, you can divide the image using layer masks, or by cutting and pasting. Both have certain benefits. The easiest may be to use mask shapes.

Using Photoshop 7+, create your balloon on a transparent layer.

Create a Layer Mask, and fill it with black. You should see nothing (no balloon).

Duplicate the layer into the number of pieces you want to animate.

Create white (a little overlapping is okay) on each layer to reveal enough balloon to make a whole image.

Open this PSD in AE as a composition. Your layers will be aligned and ready to animate.

HTH

Ko Maruyama
Free Tutorials

Thank you, Ko
It works great. By the way, I checked out your website and it's awesome; a lot of excellent tips. I've bookmarked it and will visit often.
Thanks again.
.....Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back