Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explanation: Default Printer / Installed Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

I know that there is something mystical about default printers when developing / running Access applicaitons; but I can't find anywhere (Googled or TT) a detailed description of what goes on.

E.G. I develop application in our Norwich office. Works fine with my default printer. Same with other clients in the same office.
MDE sent to head office - they try it and all works fine other than reports. Just don't work.

I know that it's to do with the sodding printer etc. but I'm looking for what the hell you do to get around these situations!!!!

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

have a read of
thread703-683741

Hope this helps
Hymn

Thanks Hymn,

I'm trying to find out why if I develop an app with 1 HP LaserJet printer installed, compile it and save as MDE, why the reports won't work when they are ran on other PC's than do not have my printer installed.

The reports all use the default printer.

Seems to be a common problem, but there isn't much documented about Access and how it goes about requiring default printers etc.

Cheers,

Steve.

Thanks Hymn,

What happens if you want to distribute an app without knowing what printers they have?

Cheers,

Steve.

Under file/page setup/page make sure that the default printer is selected
this normally select the default printer of that computer

Hope this helps
Hymn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back