Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expiring windows 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jl8789

MIS
May 22, 2003
US
I have some popups that I send an order_id to as a url variable so I can edit the order. Everything works fine, it is just that they seem to stick around in my Temporary Internet Files folder after I am done with them. The problem is that if I am updating an order with my popup and process it, the old popup window from my Temp folder may come back up if I go to that order again soon after updating it, and it will look like it was originally before I did some editing and sent that off to the database. So the temp file does not really reflect what is in the database.

Is there a way to expire these popups immediately after using them, or force the new page to actually reload instead of using the temp file??

yes u have to force empty cache, that depends upon the server language that u use...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

You might wanna set your browser cache settings to "Every time I view the page". I thought every developer under the sun would have that changed already. ;)

Yes, if I set it up so that it checks for newer versions of the page Every time I go to the page, everything works fine. I just thought maybe there was a way I could do this without now telling all 200 some users that this is how they are going to have to setup their options if they want to use my site...

BTW I am using cold fusion, I know there is a server setting, but is there something on the application side to guarantee that it empties the cache every time that page is closed??

Code:
<meta NAME=&quot;Pragma&quot; VALUE=&quot;no-cache&quot;>
<meta NAME=&quot;cache-control&quot; VALUE=&quot;no-cache&quot;>
do it for ya?

Might be better to send the headers via your server-side language like vbkris suggested.

Thanks, I'll try that.
I was just looking into cfcache, looks like it will solve my problems as well.

Appreciate the response...

Works beautifully. I am rather new to web development, so I appreciate it greatly.

Hi, jl8789:

I have the same problem as yours.

I just wonder do you have to put the two statements:

into the header of every html files?

Thanks.

Of every page that you want to make sure is new or cached everytime you go to it.

If you have pages that are static or don't change much you don't need these headers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back