Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experts ! Please Help !..CRXI database question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan007

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
CA
I am using CRXI Designer to build reports.
Web based JSP UI using CRXI for java components.
SQL Server 2000.
Windows 2000.

My questions is, How can I use one CR XI report for two different databases under one database server with a same DSN.

Here is the detail:
Initially I set my DSN "ReportsDSN " to Testdb and created a New connection by using ODBC (RDO) and select Testdb. Now I changed my DSN settings and pointed to Proddb.
What I would expect from my prior 8.5 experience is, Report designer should ask me to verify database and once run will display data from production database. My understanding is Reports are DSN dependent rather than any specific database.

But this is not the case in CR XI.
Even i change the DSN settings and pointing to Proddb, Inside the DataSource Location settings the catalog name and database name always remains as Testdb and I won't get any data. just a blank report.

Also noticed, when I opened the Show SQL Query it says:

{Call "testdb.dbo.reportid"........
rather than mentioning like CR 8.5 as {call "dbo.reportid"

The only way it works in PRoddb is if I will create a complete new connection and get rid of testdb connection.

Please advice

In report design go to Set Datasource and click the + on each table and then properties.

At bottom you will see Overridden qualified table name.

Double click and then type in name as shown in table name above.

Repeat for each table.

Report will now be portable across all databases, if you now look in SQL statement you will see testdb has been removed.

Ian

Thanks Ian...

I was able to configure this part last night after debugging for hours & hours...Thanks for confirmation.
Really appreciated.
But I am still getting one error on JSP UI side related to CRXI.

Report works fine on designer with different databases
but throwing me error while calling for Web based JSP UI.
Error is "Error finding JNDI name (DSN Name).

We are not using CRXI Enterprise server, we have CRXI with java components.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Khan

Sorry but this is beyound my skills I am not really an integrator.

YOu may be better off asking a new question relating to this new problem. However, it does not sound like a crystal issue but more odbc/jsp error.

Ian

JNDI name (DSN Name)is like an ODBC connection, you have to define it on whichever server(s) is hosting/running your RPT-files.

It needs to be configured the same as the one on the PC where the RPTs were developed.

You also need to make sure that the values in the CRConfig.xml file are updated correctly. On a windows server that file is located at -

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Common\3.5\java\CRConfig.xml

Thanks MJRBIM.

I was able to figure out my JNDI (DSN NAme) under jdbc provider options on web sphere admin console and changed it to production and test databass on each servers respectively.
Report worked fine on each environment.

Thanks a lot Ian and MJR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back