Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expert Systems Alternative 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoman2006

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2006
US
We currently maintain a large number of Avaya Definity, S8x00 system and have been using Expert System to monitor our customer base, the cost is extremely expensive and we are now looking for an alternative.

Expert Systems claims it can clear 95% of alarms remotly, but experience shows that they sometime they do not respond at all to some of the systems we are paying for.

This past week we had a system lose its Optical disk and it generated an R-MEDIA (Minor) alarm. This alarm was reported to expert systems and acknowledged by their system but no attempt was ever made to resolve the alarm or even notify us about it.

Our customer had to call and tell us thay had a Minor alarm for the past several days. After looking at the list history, we saw that Avaya never even called into our system. This is quite fustrating for us and expensive as well.

We would like to have our own in-house proactive monitoring system that will be able to automatically clear alarms if possible, without human intervention.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Along these lines....what are options for dropping Avaya remote only support. I've heard different things about whether you could completely exclude Avaya or not.

For example, in Motoman's original question, my understanding is that he could add AlarmTraq as an adjunct monitoring/resolution service, but that Avaya would still want to have their hooks in and maintain a certain level of monitoring - for an annual price.

Is this correct?

BIS is correct. We have been using AlarmTraq for over 2 years in our NOC and have saved over $80,000.00 since then by self-maintaining our Definity and CM systems in the USA.

The monthly charges were costing us between $0.65 to $1.00 per port every month just for remote monitoring. With several switches at over 10,000 ports each this added up to some big bucks. The ROI was a matter of days not years. highly recommended. For more info see and tell them Neil at Google said hey.

Step 1. Have Avaya or your BP enable the 'dadmin' login for your sites.
Step 2. Change the phone number to your internal modem so Avaya can't disable this login in the future.
Step 3. Point your system to your NOC (AlarmTraq) by changing the OSS number in either:

Definity: 'change system-parameters maintenance' screen. See
S8x00: 'almcall' from a bash prompt. See
Its well worth the investment even if you are keeping your Avaya contract. Hope this answers your question dmthames.

testinads2005:

did you do away with avaya support alltogether?

we are currently on a remote monitoring only contract that is a pretty nice chunk of change by itself. doesn't really get us anything though.

very nice...thanks for the input all.

i wonder if avaya is building up to a user revolt on their insane maintenance agreements. we pay thru the nose, but anytime we do something with them it's a real pain in the rear.

faq690-5976

We are like phoneguy55. We got tired of paying through the nose like you stated. Above could get you started down the road of self maintenance.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

Thanks BIS, we bought the alarmtraq and it seems to work great.

Has anyone used the auto-reports with alarmtraq?

We just started using the auto reports, it is a good way to keep you up to date with maintenance accounts.

Thanks guys, we ran the eval version for tha last month and have recently bought a 100 Product ID license. Works great so far.

there is a new update that is very impressive. make sure you are running v5.0.472

Check out alarmtraq 5.1. Just out and it's awesome.

We use IRISnGEN from Teltronics, very nice system & works great with being able to filter & change whatever warning alarm you want to minor or majors.

When I worked at Avaya I attended a meeting that it was stated that every day the number of contracts that Avaya had decreased. I tried to explain the problems as why the contracts were being canceled but Avaya will not listen to the customers or employees. It doesn't make sense for the stockholders as the TSO is usually the only division that makes a profit each year, and it dies a little more with ever inept move of management.

I have heard that if U change the inads line to a different number Avaya will send out a tech to remove the permissions.

orypecos,

Thats why it's important to change the telephone number of your internal modem when cancelling an Avaya contract.

If you have a contract and cancel or do not renew it, then you are violating that contract if you do not give Avaya access to turn off the MSPs. They will make you pay in court!

All you need to do is buy the Maintenance Assist contract to get the MSPs turned on.

There is a monopoly suit against Avaya about how they dont let users or 3rd party companies who are not BPs have access to these permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back