Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expert needed - SPF Records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanT07

Programmer
May 11, 2005
GB
Hi

Im really stuck here..

I use VPS hosting and have a register page that sends the user an email so they can click an activation link. The email sends fine but it goes into spam folders on hotmail, aol, yahoo etc.

Im pretty sure this is because the reverse DNS shows a different domain (the hosts domain) not my domain. I spoke to the host and they said I can set up an SPF record which might work. So ive tried doing this using Plesk control panel adding the line:

domain.com TXT v=spf1 a mx mx:mail.ds-play.com ip4:212.241.201.216 -all

Unfortunately it didnt change anything.
Am i doing this correctly? Is there a file in Windows i should be editing directly?

Thanks
Dan

SPF != rDNS

Have your ISP configure the correct rDNS entry first. rDNS entries are required by the RFC. I'm not aware of any of those providers you listed using SPF for full filtering like that (although I do believe they check for it).

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Hi

Thanks for answering. The host said they wont set up reverse DNS as I am on VPS hosting. They will only do it for full dedicated.

So, I guess im stuck.

I take it there is no other alternative?

Dan

They don't care about their clients, then. Reverse DNS is a requirement, and you'll likely run into more problems as more and more ISPs reject mail that doesn't have it.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I knew something like this would happen. We've switched hosts a few times now because has had something different wrong with them. Up until now these guys have been perfect, but theres always something [mad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back