Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experiences with SQL 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaatar

Programmer
Jan 10, 2005
DE
Hello all,

i hope this is the correct forum, because my question belongs a bit to administration and other stuff.
My company uses at the moment right now Unix machines, with Oracle 8i on it. We will migrate now to Oracle 10g, on Windows 2003 Server (Noone here cant handle Unix well, so we switch to Windows). At the moment our application we use here is programmed in Forms 6. We will start very soon now, to switch to VB.NET 2005.
Additionally we get a SMS server soon, which brought me to an idea. If we use anyway most MS products, and will use an SMS with SQL server soon, maybe its considerable to switch to MS-SQL 2005 on our main application in VB.NET?
The question is now, how is your experience with MS SQL 2005. Is it easy to setup/administer, what are typical problems which you occur? How is the speed? Oracle now host 4 DB, where all together 200 users work on. Can MS-SQL handle this?

Because i did not find really something on Google, i hope to find here some meanings/thoughts of MS SQL professionals.

Thank your for your help.

We currently have 4 Oracle 10G servers running on Windows and 10 SQL 2005 Ent servers. I have far fewer problems with the SQL servers that I do with the Oracle servers. We are currently in the process of re-writting one of our major applicatoins to move from Oracle to SQL. The application is just as fast if not fast for certian modules. We did have to do a major re-write of packages to stored procedures but it has been worth it. You will also find that you do not have to micro manage SQL server as much as Oracle.

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Sounds very nice, thank you for your answer Paul.
How about the security stuff? In the past, i heard much stuff about SQL servers (negative ones). Got the security (hacking and such things) better? And how is it about backup/restore?

Im really grateful for your advises, thank you.

Helge.

Security in 2005 is much improved from 2000. (although because of the popularty of MS I believe you will always have people trying to hack) You can get very granular if you want. Least permissions always wins out.
Backups/Restores are much better than Oracle. RMAN is a nightmare! (at least with my limited knowledge!) SQL Server backups are very easy to set up and maintaine. You don't need to bring down the database instance to get a full backup of the db.

- Paul

You don't have to bring down Oracle either to do a full backup.

Regards,

William Chadbourne
Oracle DBA

It's a little long-winded, but it has some interesting information in it too.

thread183-1253791

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

George,
That's a great post!

Speaking from personal experience we are always having problems with our Oracle servers. (in fairness to Oracle alot of the problems are relaited to poor code) But the fact is it just takes way more effort to manage our Oracle servers than our SQL servers.

- Paul

SQLSister's advice was the best one in that thread. You really need to do a cost benefit analysis before deciding to change your database. Unless the database is trivial, converting from Oracle to SQL Server will not be quick and it won't be easy. Ultimately, there may be benefits from switching, but you won't know that until you do the analysis.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Great advise from George and SQLSister. Also Avaatar if and when you do a cost analysis don't forget to factor in the learning curve. If you don't have experienced windows personel at your place of employment there could be costly mistakes.

- Paul

George,
I gave you star for show us that post. It was a long read but a very good read.

- Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back