Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experiences in developing API

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedawk

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hi,

Does anybody have experience in developing API? Here I mean general guideline in developing skill not specifying what detail application is. Of course, if someone has specific cases that would be a great help. Now I need to do some API software development but I don't have any experience before. So I am open to any help, suggestions, and recommendations(like books or links).

Thanks in advance.

1. Get yourself the MSDN Library. Without it, it will be a mission impossible.
2. Ask more specific questions here when you can't find something. (There is also a WIN API (Microsoft) forum here).
Marcel

Hi Marcel,

If I understood you correctly, you meant that I should use MSDN as a starting point to develop my own API, right? Let me raise an example here: I am using TAPI to develop some applications. However, something not fulfill my requirement, so I think I need to enhance it. What is the roadmap to do that?

Thx.

So you want to develop your own API and/or extension API? Here are some suggestions:

1) If you're using C++, see if there are any MFC classes that impement TAPI (Sorry, I have't done much with TAPI :( ). If so, subclass them and add your own extension methods in that subclass. If there are multiple classes that implement TAPI, you may want to write your own class that encompasses all of them as well as your extensions.

2) If there are no MFC classes that imeplement TAPI and you're using C instead of C++, consider writing a DLL that adds your extensions as well as methods to call TAPI itself.

3) If there are no MFC classes that implement TAPI and you ARE using C++, write your own wrapper TAPI class (in other words write methods that call the appropriate TAPI API calls) and include your extensions.

Hope this information helps! Happy coding! :)
*~-> EOR Candy <-~*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back