Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experienced C++ developer wants to learn C#

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayLaborer

Programmer
Jan 3, 2006
US
I have a friend who's got 15 years of C++ experience and now wants to learn C#. What resources (books, URLs, etc.) have you found to be most beneficial to provide a quick and meaningful start in such a transition?

Thanks!
Eliezer

Think of a project which will use the most features. Something like a data entry system for a restaurant which goes from the waiter through to the cooks and then out as a bill. That will use database, comms, gui, multi-terminal (.net). Just about every area you're likely to come across in everyday programming. Doesn't have to be too complex but big enough for your solution to encompass several projects, plus you get to play with bits you wouldn't play with at work.

XWB, my question was what resources could be recommended to him?

Thanks!

Bookwise, try the one by a US author and Griffiths. I can't remember the other author's name. It is an O'Reiley publication anyway. Got a kudu in the front.

The author of the other O'Reiley one only half knows what he's talking about. He misses the point completely on some of the features.

Public Joe's has a decent one that teaches a lot about GDI+.

Another good one about C# basics, but not about window programming is:

I would browse through the second one first. If he is already experienced with C++, it won't take any time at all to learn this. There are some minor syntax differences, but the main difference is managed memory. You don't have to worry about your memory, which can be a plus or a minus. Now, you can pretty much do anything you want with .NET, including games with Managed DirectX, and XNA coming out.

The one by Chris Sells & Ian Griffiths (the site you've mentioned has Ian as Lan).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back