Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience on MSAccess of a JSP Programmer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

neltan

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
AU
2nd Hand Clothes is my 1st Access Application. I gain much solid experience on VB like application.

Pros:
+ rich GUI
+ simple, strict forward, easy, quick
+ quick development with all-in-one helping tools.
e.g. query, wizard, UI designer, report designer
+ quick deployment help to gather requirement from user
++ Programmer really focus on application logic

Cons:
- poor design structure -> modularizing project is a waste of time (only increase complexity)
-> complexity grow much when scale increase ~ big O square
- difficult to maintain esp. copy & paste coding
- functionality limited by language and tools
esp. MSAccess - multi-thread, multi-user, version, Chinese & English,
Window - Local Settings affect date format, currency format

My conclusion:
Microsoft really did a good job on GUI, usability on IT!
I'm a web programmer. The MSAccess really impress me.
Web development tools should move toward MS's usability & simpleness!

I am a web developer. Java is being more & more complex, make me feeling uncomfortable.
Struts, Spring, Hibernate, EJB, JDO, JSF... They are too much & too difficult for a 1 person project!!

all the cons you stated of access are why you would use java, especially with a good framework.

check out tapestry

very well designed framework, promotes component reuse. easy to make complex applications once you get the hang of it. buy the book "tapestry in action" at - it will help a lot

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); } finally { rtfm(); }

If you are just one developer, and don't feel comfortable with JSP/servlet frameworks like Struts or JSF etc, then don't bother with them - just stick with JSP & simple servlets.

In my opinion, frameworks are often not worth the the hassle unless you are working on a massive webapp project with many developers.

Don't be sucked in by the hype - go with what you know, and what feels right.

As for EJB - its a massive overhead that can often slow db access - stick with stored procedures on a database like Oracle, or if you cannot afford Oracle, then Postgres or MySQL, which now support stored procedures.

Java, IMO, is getting worse & worse at developing wrappred, slower, frameworks. Personally, I'm trying to move awa from this "wrapped" world, and move back into C/C++ wherever I can !

A connection pool, is obviously though, a benefit that will speed up your application :)

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

jemminger,

Thanks! I will try tapestry.

What's the meaning of rtfm()?

sedj,

Thank you for you reply! I'm just venting.

I hope that J2EE would be more simple and not more complex! Webapp framework seem to help programmer, but it tighten our code.

I was a ASP programmer and now JSP. Just feeling that I have just escape from the ugly VB code. But now face a giant and growing elephant!!

Here is an interesting cartoon

Read The Fine Manual,

or

Read The F****** Manual

depending on your level of annoyance !

PS, above was reply to neltan's question about jemminger's signature - "What's the meaning of rtfm()?" - not a slur !!!

sorry sedj, I don't know the meaning of "Read The Fine Manual". Would you please explain a little :>

And I found a dhtml site, it is excellent to me!

Hope that JSF can do this after N years!

sedj, I get it now!
"Read the fine manual" - go back and study again!

if your project is small and won't be worked on by a team, follow sedj's advice and keep it simple with just jsp & servlets.

if it is more complex and / or needs to be modular and highly extensible, frameworks can help keep the code consistent.

i recommend lurking in the tapestry user forum for a while to see what people have to say about it:
subscribe: mailto:tapestry-user-subscribe@jakarta.apache.org

or read online:

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); } finally { rtfm(); }

Thanks sedj & jemminger,

You are light to me, when I'm frustrate by those frameworks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back