Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience Hosting TS App

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuser

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
Does anyone have experience with hosting applications on Terminal Services (W/O Citrix)? We are considering hosting an application for outside vendors. What are some of the issues we may face? Obviously we would not have control over the client machines, printers etc... Also, what are the licensing costs associated with such a scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Publishing just applications isn't as easy as with Citrix but I've managed to do it, sort of!

However, for each device to connect, you should have a license for, I'm not too sure on what happens with licenses, "I think" that the first time you connect, you get a temporary license that lasts for 90 days, then, after 90 days of repeat connections, the device takes a permanent one. So you need to be aware how many external devices may connect and that may cost you!

Citrix also allows seamless apps, Terminal Services won't be and you could get disconnected sessions depending on what "X" they click, may be an issue.

Citrix also allows Load Balancing, so depending on how many people connect will also place 1 server under increasing load, and what if it crashes and is offline for any amount of time?

Printing is a nightmare, believe me, I support around 1000 external clients and printing needs are unbelievable! You need to disclaimer that if a printer is not supported under Terminal Services, they you won't support it or attempt any curing of it, maybe even give a list of what you will and won't support!

Does this help you any? I'd be interested in knowing what you are going to do, also, where are you based? Being nosey!

Cheers,
Carl.

Have to agree with Ogi here.

It is no way near as elegant as with Citrix, however elegance comes with a price. You can do it with TS but really horrid and users will take a lot of getting used to it.

Please heed the warning about printers (if you don't want to go as bald as me !!!!)[sadeyes]

Cheers
Scott

I appreciate your comments. We are based in New York, and are considering hosting an app, at least as an option for clients if they want to lease as opposed to buy. I kind of figured that printing would be an issue. Is the printing issue so bad that it makes the solution not work at all. I mean if we get tons of phone calls each day about printing, that is a nightmare...Is printing any better with Citrix? Waht do Citrix licenses cost on a per user basis? If say, we signed on a new client that had 10 users, can I just charge the a one time fee for the TS and Citrix Licenses and then I'm set?

Thanks again for your feedback!!!

I am running both TS and Citrix MFXPFR3 I have found that using Citrix is easier on the users for remote use of apps, I use TS for internal employees using WYSE 1200LE thin clients. In your case I would suggest Citrix as it would allow you to publish only certain applications, where TS you give them a desktop. I also have had issues printing, I have found that Citrix does a whole lot better with mapping client printers then TS does. Prices are about $75 per TS client and $300 for the citrix clients.

I may have a solution to your hosting of the application as a lease rather than a purchase. If you would like additional information please contact me at Dan.Dillman@Applications2U.com. I have much experience with the lease of applications.

I thought "Sales" mailings weren't allowed?

In terms of quality, rendition of screen, keyboard feedback to user, is Citrix a big improvement? Would it be worth it just for that?

We've used both. TS by itself worked well when we needed to publish applications only to Windows or thin-client stations and mostly within the lan. When we needed load balancing (TS recently introduced rudimentary load balancing) and support for other platforms like Mac, we layered on Citrix. Citrix requires less bandwidth than TS, but unless you need the enterprise management functions of XPe, load balancing that TS doesn't support, or have tight bandwith issues, TS should be fine. I'd at least start with it.

If your concerned about printing, we use an application called uniprint which has worked well so far, it certainly improves the issues with citrix and printing

if you have enough users, it would be worth looking at something like that, or its equivalent

Im not totally sure, ive took over after it was purchased. But I reckon its about £300 - £400 per server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back