Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expansion Module distance from Main Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBoyLee

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2005
GB
Hi,

We have an IP Office 403 and want to connect a 16 Port Analog Expansion Module to it. Ideally it needs to be connected away from the main unit due to the cabling here in the office.

That is the expansion module on one floor and the main unit on another. Is there a maximum cable length for the 403->Expansion cable? Should it be alright putting it through a patched Cat 5 setup?

If not is there any other hardware we can purchase to allow us to connect the units in this way?

Thanks
Jon

1m supplied shielded cable

You will need to run a link cable for the 16 analogue extensions

Thanks for the response.

Would you mind expanding on what a link cable is?

Patching through CAT5 will not work. The cable must be STP (shielded) and has a limit on the distance (which I think is 1M). Anything different, you'll get strange things happening and nobody, including Avaya, will give you any support.

I'm not too sure what JeSTeROCK means by a link cable - there may be sometihg I don't know of - but if you are stuck, think about using IP Phones instead.

The beauty of IP Phones is that you can put them pretty much anywhere. If you have a room with only one CAT5 point, you can connect an 8 port switch and have eight IP Phones.

Unfortunatley modules should not be located remoteley and should ALWAYS be connected via the supplied shielded cat5 cable. This is to conform to certain standards.

I suspect JeSTeROCK is reffering to what I would call a shunt. Basically running a 20/50/100 pair comms cable from 1 cab to another and presenting them on a cat5 panel in the desired location.

If you' dlike further explanation please let me know.

OK, sorry, I think JeSTeROCK means run a multi-core piece of copper, or something like that for each extension.

Whatever you choose, you will have to have the module in the same rooms as the IPO, so it's either run in some CAT5 or a single piece of multi-core to a DP, or go for IP Phones.

If you have any old BT style DP's knocking about (big punch-down boxes) you could use that to run the multi-core to, then branch it out to each extension using Bell wire.

badip, I must have posted at the same time as you :)

Patch panel on the end of the multi-core is the other option instead of a DP, as badip has suggested.

Thank you all for your replies.

Will look in to the multicore option and IP Phones.

Thanks again

Jon

Yeah sorry not to explain that.

I would install the expansion module in the same rack as the ipo with supplied cable (1m shielded)

Install a patch strip of the correct amount of ports per extension you need on the other floor. Terminate this patch strip using a copper telephone link cable of the same or more pairs to the other floor.

Patch from the ipo to the patch strip. Do what you want at the other end, patch or termination blocks.

easy as pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back