Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding the Boot Partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeyHey

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
On my PDC my C:\ bot partition is only 2GB. I want to expand it as we are constantly near to 99 % full. At present my RAID 5 array has 5 disks in it. This is configured as a "GB c partition and an 18GB d: partition.

I am adding another disk to the array and want to expand the C partition. I have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible?

2. If so how do I extend the C:\ boot partition.

Thanks,

John.

You'd need to use some kind of software like Partition Magic...

Be careful that you don't expand the partition too large though - NT 4.0 can only handle something like a 7.8GB boot partition - anything larger and the OS won't load.

Also, the partition will have to be NTFS not FAT as the larger partition size is not supported with FAT -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to expand the boot partition of Windows NT to greater than 4GB? I had try Volume Manager by PowerQuest but it is not allowed to over the Windows NT limitation. Urgent!

One way around this limitation, is to back-up the partition using Ghost, or similar; Then load the image back to your new disk. The image should use the full partition size available. (No more than 6Gb for stability)
NB Make sure your service pack is up to date before you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back