Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding Export Limits 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlock

Technical User
Oct 17, 2003
US
Because SK98 was so easily adaptable, I've been using the contact files to inventory books, audios, videos, etc. It's easy enough to export the contact files to Outlook 2002, but there seems to be a limit on number of characters per file that can be exported. I've got upward of 20,000 files, nearly all larger than that. Is there any way I can export the whole contact file?

Dear dlock,
Well I regularly work with 8-9,000 files with 35 Fields+ and if I am going to export them to Access to tidy stuff up I use Internet Sidekick, see the FAQ pages to find out where to get it.
But I imagine that it may be the 256 characters per field you may be referring to and I am not sure of that:
Here is the info from Sidekick98 Help:
Maximum number of characters in a field: 98
Maximum number of characters per record of a card: 5,000
Maximum number of records: 30,000
Maximum number of fields to a record of a card: 100

Internet Sidekick:
I'm checking that out (remind me)
HTH

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Sorry dlock,
I think I was getting confused with Access???

The best method I have found of SavingAs/Exporting is doing it as a Tab-Delimited .txt file and then importing it into Access setting all the fields as Memo fields in the Import Profile.
That way you can keep more of the text as the Field contents are not truncated.
I am not absolutely sure what you mean by and I quote your post:
"but there seems to be a limit on number of characters per file that can be exported. I've got upward of 20,000 files, nearly all larger than that. Is there any way I can export the whole contact file?"

See the following FAQ by clicking on this link:
faq807-1409
for export information

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear dlock,
I have been struggling to get to the info, I should have just checked the manual (RTFM) and NOW I see that the situation is as you described it there is a Limit of 20,000 cards that you can export in one Cardfile.
I quote from FAQ Page2 click on this link and see but I have quoted the relevant bit below:

Q40
Sidekick98 specifications
Import/Export:

Number of cards that will be exported or imported: 30,000 (max.)
Number of characters that will be exported or imported for a card: 5120 (max.)
Number of fields per card that will be imported or exported; 100 (max.)
Number of characters that will be exported or imported per field: 256 (max.)
Number of characters in a SOURCE/TARGET file name, including the drive and directory: 256 (max.)

There is a way around this and the way is to go to the FileOpen dialog in Sidekick and Right-Click and then copy the Cardfile you need to export and then paste it back into the same folder and name it
****1stHalf.SKCard
Where **** is the original name
then open it and delete the 2nd half of the Cards in Cardfile then Save it.

Repeat the process (Copy and paste) and name it ****2ndHalf.SKCard
Then delete all the Cards from it that you kept in the other one \and then save it.
You can then Export each half and Append them to each other in Outlook 2002.

Regards Jim

Dear James 33

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I'm getting ready to try them out.

dlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back