Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding existing system..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrchris

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
US
Hey Everyone,

I deal primarily with the networking side of things and my phone system experience is mostly IP Office and Asterisk solutions... I have a family member's office with a Merlin Magix that I helped them with many years ago... Now they need to do some expansion and I have a few questions.

The current system has a PRI-T1 bringing in all 24 channels with DID, 2-port vm, 1-412tdl card, 1-024tdl card. They want to bring in a second PRI, which means obviously adding that card, adding an additional 024 card and bumping the 2 port vm to 6 ports.

Any major issues or gotcha's in doing this? I used to be okay with Merlins and WinSPM but its a bit rusty these days. I'm not sure they really need the second PRI circuit, they just want to bump up the available lines by 4 to 6.. I was thinking just bringing in 4 analog trunks to the 412 card.. Is it possible to add those to the available pool for outgoing calls, or does it become an either or (pri or analog)? I've added enough expansion cards I'm okay with that, but I am also thinking I should add an expansion carrier instead of loading up the base carrier with this much?

If adding some analogue trunks, it is better if they are in their own pool. In ARS you can have pools overflow to one another, and that will provide flexibility for your traffic.

To get the full explanation, you can read all about pools, etc. in the Feature Reference document for the Legend/Magix. If you don't have it, you can download it for free from support.avaya.com. After reading it, and you have more questions, ask away...

....JIM....

You're Ok with adding an additional 024 TDL - and you need to fill-up the base carrier - before you can add an expansion carrier. I agree with sysquest that it is better to keep the analog lines in a seperate pool (like 890). You can then add 890 as a secondary outbound route for local and/or long distance calls.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

If/when you add modules to the carrier, my suggestion would be to put the new modules to the open slots in the carrier. If you try to rearrange the modules, you could end up needing to do some major reprogramming.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Thanks guys, finally got around to doing this and went off without a hitch... with one exception.. Incoming lines are a PRI with a main number, and then DID's with the last four matching the extension number, the DID's are not working on the new extensions so I'm sure there must be something I need to add to the programming. when calling the new extensions with what there DID should be it goes to the main number so it's hitting the system just not going to the extension...

The 2nd PRI has to be programmed identical to the 1st PRI - except that you would be using "Group 2" vs. "Group 1" - for the routing to work correctly. I am assuming you renumbered the "new" extensions to some numbering scheme that matches your incomming DIDs.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thanks but I didn't add a second PRI, just the extensions (024 card) and the DID's are working for the previous extensions but not the new ones... they just ring thru to the receptionist..

Are the "new" extensions renumbered to match the incomming DID's? If not - they need to be renumbered. If they are numbered to match - then something is "incorrect" in your programming - under "Dial Plan Routing", "Patterns".

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

You might post a print of your Dial Plan and the PRI configuration, that way we can understand what you have in the system. If your system Dial Plan uses "setup space", those new station numbers need to be renumbered to the DIDs as mentioned in the above post.

When adding modules to the switch, you need to check those slot ports against the Dial Plan to see what is there or not there.

....JIM....

How many DID'S do you have , are you at your limit? Do you have to purchase more ? These are some of the ? you may need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back