Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

expanding an NEC 2000 IVS2 PIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

roaming

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2005
US
Good Morning All:

I am still trying to figure out this system that we inherited, so please bear with me on this question.

We have an NEC 2000 IVS2 system consisting of just 1 PIM.
the slots in the PIM are configured as such:

Slot 0: 8 DLCP (8-port Digital Station Interface Card)
Slot 1: 8 DLCP (8-port Digital Station Interface Card)
Slot 2: 8 DLCP (8-port Digital Station Interface Card)
Slot 3: 8 DLCP (8-port Digital Station Interface Card)
Slot 4: 8 COTS (8-Port Analog Trunk Interface Card)
Slot 5: 8 COTS (8-Port Analog Trunk Interface Card)
Slot 6: 4 LCDA (4-Port Analog Station Interface Card)
Slot 7: 8 DLCP (8-port Digital Station Interface Card)

Slots 8-11 : Blank
Slot: 12 CP14 (Central Processor)

We currently have 35 Dterm Series E (16D and 8D) in the Office. We also have an NEAXMail AD-40 Voice mail system.

Now the QUESTION: Can I add more Telephone terminals to the system Without adding another PIM ? Can I remove the 4-LCDA card to replace with an 8-DLCP to get 8 more terminals ? What functionality will I lose ? Or can I replace the (2) 8-COTS cards with (2) 8-DLCP?

In the manual it seems to indicate that i can get up to 64 terminals in 1 PIM !!

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. I am getting conflicting info. from the dealers.
Thank you very much

you are at 60 ports right now.

you can have 40 Dterms on your switch with the current config.

If you say you only have 35 Dterms now then 5 are not connected / in service.

Are you sure the 4 port analog card is not in use?

You can get 4 ports with a 4DLC card in slot 9.

If you need more than this you will need to add a PIM and licensing.

Gary

You currently have a total of 40 ports for Dterms. As you have an AD40 it is using some of these ports for the VM. So 40 minus the VM ports is how many Dterm sets you can have right now.
Yes you can remove the 4-LCDA and replace it with another 8DLCP to get an additional 8 Dterm sets. What you will loose is the single line stations accomidating the 4-LCDA.
Yes you can replace the 2 8COTS cards with 8DLCP cards for an additional 16 Dterm sets. You will of course loose your truunks to the outside world so you might want to add say a T1 card or a ISDN PRI card and order the correct circuit from telco for it to replace the trunks you removed. That card by the way could go in any of the vacant slots you mentioned. Any of these steps would not require an additional PIM to be added to the system.

Thank you very much for the Reply. very helpful.

grh959: you mentioned that I can get a 4-port 4DLC in slot 9, however, doesn't slot 5 "Override" Slot 9 since I have an 8-port in slot 5 ?

Yes you are right. My Japanese math has failed me (count starting at 0) You have a 4 port card in slot 6, you can have another 4 port card in slot 10.

Pave 35 is on the ball, you could benefit greatly from a T-1 or PRI.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back