Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exit status 6 on RMAN backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHWS

Technical User
Nov 25, 2003
US
Wondering if any of you have had issues with random exit status 6 on RMAN backups? I realize this error is somewhat general/vague. When I see these errors they seem to affect one or two streams and then the backup runs fine for the next 20 or so streams? Client is Solaris 8 on NBU 6.0 MP4. Master is also 6.0 MP4 and backups are being sent to Public Media Server running VTL drives and the failed streams actually start writing to tape before failing. Any direction/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Taken from the Symantec forums:

When backing up Oracle using Netbackup scripts an error 6 is usually produced by a syntax error within the script being called during backup.
Also make sure the Netbackup Client Service is using an account that has SYSDBA priviledges.

This guide is your friend:

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately since some of the streams are successfully completing I'm about 99% sure it's not a syntax issue. Also client service is using the appropriate account (same as previously successfully completed backups). Unfortunately most of the technotes for exit status 6 only refer to restores not backups with Oracle and most of them are for previous versions of Netbackup such as 5.0, 6.0MP1-3, etc... Anyone one else please feel free to add any similar experiences. Thanks!

We have experienced the same issue with both Oracle, Sybase and MS-SQL. What seems to be the common issue we had was space albeit tablespace or physical disk space within the fielsystem. I am by no means a DBA, I am merely relaying what I have been told in the past.

For these errors you need to look at what's happened on the client side. Read the troubleshooting portion of the guide that dukbtr posted.

What's happening is the script/RMAN is detecting a problem and failing, which the script picks up and passes as EC 6 to NBU. I believe the error code is changeable, but I can't tell you exactly where without looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back