Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exising LAN to be connected to WAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

viclap

Programmer
Oct 12, 2000
PH
Hi to all!

We have SCo Unix version 3.2 in our office and I would like to connect this UNIX box in our WAN. There are two ethernet controllers present in the unix machine upon hardware verification, now we wish to connect this machine in our existing domain network (windows NT). How do I start from this?I'm very new to unix and I hope somebody can give me instruction step by step on how to do it.... I hope somebody can guide me on this....

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Victor.

Q's: - What version of sco is this (uname -X)
- what does the system do?
- what services does it need to offer to the rest of the network?
- what services does it need from the rest of the network?

faq219-2884

Q's: - What version of sco is this (uname -X)
- what does the system do?
- what services does it need to offer to the rest of the network?
- what services does it need from the rest of the network?

faq219-2884

stanhubble,

my answer to your question:
- uname -X
SCO_SV_NCCSLAVE Release 3.2 Version 3.2v5.0.4
- Services it needs and should offer:
basically our main purpose of connecting this to another domain network is to provide Telnet and FTP services
wherein client workstations(windows machines) could access this unix box server (or vice versa) . Our objective is that we can remotely perform software troubleshooting and maintenance of the system.

I hope this answer your question.

if you connected to wan with a router.then follow this:
1.use "custom' to install the driver of the ethernet controller.
2.use "netconfig",to setup your ethernet controller's IP address ,mask.
3.edit file /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp. to find the 2nd row begin with "route add ...",under this line, add a line like this:
route add default [IP address of your lan's router connected to the wan]
4.creat file /etc/resolv.conf,in this file, you add a line like this:
nameserver [ip address of you local wan's DNS]

Best not to edit /etc/rc2.d/S85tcp as it may be overwritten the next time you run netconfig.

Alternatively create a script such as /etc/rc2.d/S99route and put the route add default ... command in there. Annihilannic.

As long as it is Openserver Enterprise (which i would assume since it is talking on an existing lan) then follow simonzhan 's instructions for configuring the second NIC if you want the machine to act as a gateway. Take annihilannic's advice and create the new start up script for your routes. You will also need to add the ip of the unix machine into your local DNS and define routes on the remote network to get to the network that the unix machine is on. Telnet and Ftp should be active by default if they are not then check /etc/inetd.conf. For these services you do not need to do anything with the M$ domain stuff. Your response of "(or vice versa)" has me a little confused. If you are looking to provide file services then it gets a little more complicated.

good luck and welcome to unix. faq219-2884

Guys,

Thanks for the wonderful advice I got from all of you. I thought it is really that complicated configuring a UNIX machine. It's more challenging i guess than M$ machines...

Stanhubble:
I should have eliminated the word "vice versa" but its too late, I already posted it. I apologize for confusing you.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back