Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Executing a Microsoft Access query in java

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2003
CA
Hi,

First of all, is it possible to execute a query in Microsoft Access using the jdbc-odbc driver?

I have tried using a CallableStatement to try to access my query.

CODE EXCERPT:
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:eek:dbc:" + sDatabaseName, sUserName, sPassword);

CallableStatement sc = conn.prepareCall("{call QUERY_NAME}");

rset = cs.executeQuery();

...where QUERY_NAME is the query that exists in my Access db. However I get an empty result set even though I know that my query returns 3 records.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
ChallengedProgrammer

Couple of things :

- CallableStatement is a class used for calling Stored Procedures. I'm not really familiar with Access, but is an Access query a stored proc in the same sense as an Oracle stored proc is ?

- If the answer to the above is "yes", then us your proc returning results - ie an 'out' parameter for you to create a result set from. For example, a java type of ResultSet is mapped to the Oracle 'CURSOR' type - what is the equivalent mapping to Access ?

- Are there any errors ?

- >>>> I get an empty result set even though I know that my query returns 3 records.
Are you absolutely positive about this ?

When you save a query in Access it does not save as a Stored Procedure unless your are using MSDE or save the file as a ADP (Microsoft Access Project). The query you save in Access act like looks like a view to the ODBC driver (so bacically you treat it as a table). To get the results from the query you simply issue a normal query...

ie.

Code:
ResultSet     rs = stmt.executeQuery ("Select * FROM " + QUERY_NAME);

Hope this helps...

Thanks for both your responses.
Response to: JVZ

I was able to execute the Access query using the SELECT statement as suggested, but I was hoping to be able to execute the query by calling on it as a Stored Procedure. However, since Access does not use "true" Stored Procedures as ORACLE does, this option may not possible.

What confuses me though is that a call on the metadata (DatabaseMetaData)supportsStoredProcedures()function gives a TRUE result, suggesting that it supports Stored Procedure Calls.

Response to: SEDJ

>>>> I get an empty result set even though I know that my query returns 3 records.
>Are you absolutely positive about this ?

YES, And I did not get any errors, only an empty result set.

I was testing using an 'out' parameter, but I will have to figure out what the equivalent mapping of a java type of ResultSet is in Access.

I will give you feedback on this after I have tried it.

Thanks again.

The method
Code:
supportsStoredProcedures()
is correct, Microsoft Access 2000 and above does have support for Stored Procedure. HOWEVER, only if the access database is saved as a .ADP file, and not as a .MDB. The difference is that when you save a Access Database as a .ADP (Microsoft Access Project) you are using Access as a front-end only connecting to SQL Server or MSDE (free version of SQL-Server) (so all Access is doing in acting like a interface)...

You can find learn more about this on Microsoft's site, here a link to help you get started if you want to learn more about this:

JVZ, Thanks for the link about Microsoft Access Project and for clearing up the supportStoredProcedures() method for me. That's interesting...I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back