Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Execute Process Task Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDodgson

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
GB
I'm trying to build a DTS package that runs a win32 executable. (not designed by me). This package looks at data puts the data through a processor and assigns another code to the data before exporting it all out to a csv file which I will then reimport to the server... (hope this makes sense) The .exe file has default file locations (for source data) which it auto loads before I run it. However, when I run the DTS package it tells me that the source file locations are not found and it falls over. I wonder if it needs some kind of time delay... however, I would not have even the first idea about how to do this, or what parameters to put in...

If this rather garbled, confusing email means absolutely anything to you and you think you might know the answer please could you let me know?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

ChrisDodgson,

Is there an absolute need to use the .exe file?
Can you not set the file locations prior to running the DTS package, and then simply process them directly?

You also mention about exporting the data to a .csv file and then importing it again, why don't you simply have the DTS package place it directly on the server?

Logicalman

Yes, using the .exe is absolutely necessary as it adds a column of data to mine using a logic which I have no access to (or I'd implement it myself). It is the .exe file that exports the results to a csv file, which is why I then have to reimport it.

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Chris

Chris,

You have a number of ways to determine this.

The DTS package can be coded to loop until it is satisfied, and therefore, until it finds and processes the files.

Logicalman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back