Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

execute multiple views within a single stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStl

MIS
Oct 2, 2006
US
Is it possible to execute multiple views within a single stored procedure that feed off of each other? Here is an example.

I created following views:

CREATE OR REPLACE FORCE VIEW VIEW1 ( first_name, last_name, address )
AS Select First_Name, last_name, address from table1 Where Last_name=’SMITH’

CREATE OR REPLACE FORCE VIEW VIEW2 (names of columns....)
AS SELECT * FROM PEOPLE A WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM VIEW1 B WHERE B.Address = A.Address);

There could be possible be a third view i.e. VIEW3 that could feed off of VIEW2 in the same store procedure.

My question is: How can I wrap 1,2,or 3 view in a single stored procedure that feed off each other?

Do I need to use Execute Immediate? If yes, what would be the syntax of this SP?

Thx,

Al

AlStl -
These are not stored procedures. They are SQL DDL statements.
And yes, View3 can reference View1 and View2, just as any other select statement would.

Once a view is created, it persists, so there is no reason to put these statements into a stored procedure - unless you are doing so in case somebody drops your views and you need to create them. Then you would use EXECUTE IMMEDIATE. However, it might be just a simple (and even safer) to just retain a script that runs the three creation statements. This would preclude the person who drops the views from also dropping your procedure.

carp,

It was an example and you are correct they are basic DDL's for creating Views. I did not include SP syntax that will encapsulate all three views.

I just wanted a single place to run all three in a squence and review my final view with data in it. I tought I could create a SP and wrap all three views in it and just execute the SP.

May be it was not a good idea.

Al

Al -
Perhaps if you give us the pseudocode for what you are trying to do, we can be of more assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back