Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exe File keeps on getting bigger when compiling 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebbo

Programmer
Dec 5, 2000
GB
I know this sounds like a virus. When I compile my exe file it appears to get bigger even though I've made no changes. Each time I compile the size increases. Is this a virus or could it be something else. i have ran an up to date anti virus check.

Thanks

No, it's possible because much of the .APP/.EXE code is actually stored in the Project file actually in the Object field. Since like any other table records are automatically PACKed, it's a good idea to occasionally open the project and choose Menu -> Project -> Clean up project. Or if you like to do it "manually":
Code:
USE myproject.pjx EXCLUSIVE
PACK
USE
Additionally, forms and classes can get bloated with old object code. In the Class Browser, you can click on the Clean up Class code button. (This too can be done manually!)

Rick

Thanks for that advice i will try it out. However should i copy the source to my PC at home it compiles at normal size. I've copied it to an additional PC at work and the exe file gets bigger each time. i tend to think we have a problem at work. Everything has been virus checked with no adnormal results. I'll give your suggestions ago, thanks.

Hi Bebbo

If you select Project -> Project Info on the VFP menu,
If the debug info is not selected the EXE size will be heavily reduced. This could be useful in final distributions to have smaller size executable.

:)

sir ramani,

great tip! i didn't know that. worthy of a star. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines
"and that's what we call creativity..."

I have further news on this. When building my exe file I always recompile all files (don't know if this is right). However should I recompile all file my screnn files (*.sct) increase in size. For example my stock.sct file is 608 KB before compiling. It then goes to 853 KB after compiling. should I compile again this will increase again.

If I open Stock.scx (ie use stock.scx exclusive) and pack this file the size does go back down to 608 kb. Just lately I'm opening files from my server and compiling over the network (takes loads longer). I am then copying the files from the server to my local PC. For some reason if I compile over the network the sizes do not increase.

Now I've got a bit of extra info I'm wondering if anyone has other ideas?

Thanks

By the way should I build the exe file without recompiling all files the size does not increase.

Also, VCX (classlibs) experience problems with bloating and they should be opened up as a table occasionally and packed. Of course, it is always best to save a backup before hacking any tables. However, I have never encountered a problem.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Ramani what exactly does unchecking the debug info do? ( besides reducing file sizes)

Redsz

what exactly does unchecking the debug info do? ( besides reducing file sizes)

According to the help file :
Debugging information is included with the compiled source code if it is selected

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Hi All,

I run a simple program over my projects before I do a deliverable compile - it removes all database references in the forms and reports, packs all the resultant files and fixes printer references.

This stops my programs growing - unless I add more code.

If the debugging info is removed, will I get line numbers on my error messages?

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

If the debugging info is removed, will I get line numbers on my error messages?

No.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I was just testing that Mike!

And you are definately right!

All the line numbers become '0'

My 5.5 MB app was reduced by about 10%, and an examination in a hex editor showed that all the code was gone - so it's a bit more secure, not sure it's worth it for a new project - but for a mature product it would be worthwhile.

The app would still zip to a reasonable size and the source would be secure from casual viewing.

Thanks Mike

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back