Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.exe created with VB doesn't run on another pc (msadodc.ocx problem) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanRusterholz

Programmer
Aug 24, 2001
CH
Finally my VB program runs fine on the pc with visualbasic installed. now I generated an .exe file (which also runs on the developmentmachine) and copied it onto another pc (windows2000 Server). But on this machine a message appears at start:
"Component 'MSADODC.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid'".
I use the "Microsoft ADO Data Control 6.0 (OLEDB)" in this project.

How can I get the project work?
Or where else could I place this question?

Thank you for helping me
Stefan

It sounds a bit like you are just copying the .EXE onto the traget computer withou ANY of the files its dependant on!

Use the pacakage and deployment wizard that comes with VB which will (sometimes) find all the files your .EXE needs.

If you've already done that then I apologize for giving such basic advice. For any files that still seem to be missing when you run the EXE, you can add them into the package manually during the package and deployment wizard.

Whats the wizard has created the setup package you can view the .LST file created with it to show you EXACTLY what files are going to be installed on the target computer and their version numbers.

Good luck, you may well need it,

elziko

You are right. I indeed only copied the .exe file.
I'm kind of newbie to VB and had not a lot of time to study it (I just have had to adapt a script and add mySQL support to it) so I learnt it in a hurry.

I think your advice is also correct.
So here another stupid problem: where can I find this wizard?

I searched in /Microsoft Visual Studio/VB98/Wizards/ andin some other locations but I didn't find an application matching your description. Or do I have to use the wizard from within VB?
Will it be self-explaining when I use this wizard?
If not: where can I find informations about how to use the wizard?

I'm sorry to occupy you with such a basic problem, but I was very happy if you could help me to solve this problem.

Thanks
Stefan

You should have the tool in your start>progr..>vb folder

Otherwise just do a search for "Pdcmdln.exe" it's usually in
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Vb98\Wizards\PDWizard\Pdcmdln.exe"

Let elziko know his advice was helpful.

Ciao

One bit of further advice:

Make sure you don't just rush through the wizard. It aint that good!

If a file is flagged as having a missing dependancy file then try and find out the dependancies if possible.

Make sure that every file its including should be included. You may have refrences in your project that you didn't need after all.

Make sure that every file you expect is there, and check that it will be installed to the path you expect it to.

When I first started using the wizard I just rushed through it and had a lot of problems with missing files etc.

elziko

Thanks to both of you
I didn't find the wizard because I didn't think enough :-/
I have a german installation, so it's named "Verpackungs und Verteilungsassist" which is _slightly_ different to it's english name :)

It was only the file 'MSADODC.OCX' which had to be placed into /WinNT/system32/. Now it works fine *happy*

thank you again
Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back