Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exclusive use of file

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulcedarhill

Technical User
Mar 22, 2004
US
We share on the network an excel 2000 version 9.0 file that uses MS Query within the workbook.

We have protected write permissions using the tools/options/password to modify command.

When ever a user has the file open with the password to modify only the file creator can access the file. All others get a jet ODBC driver error that someone else has exclusive use of the file.

MS knowledge database says to install Borland Database Engine but my corporate IT guys do not want to do this. Is there another way to mirror the active file?
Is there a work around?

In 'mirroring the active file', do you mean working with a copy of the data in the excel sheet or providing users with an actual updateable connection to the live data in the sheet?

...Or are you referring to a copy of the sheet vs. a copy of the data ?

How about individual copies of identical sheets that access the shared data?

Before you reply ....

You may find more information on configuring 'workgroup access' to for Excel in the Excel forum. I have experienced this and recall striking a compromise; writing the logic in VBA and presenting users copies of the formatted data and charts in excel that were generated using VBA and cOM.

Amiel Summers

I do not need it to be able to update. A slave file would be fine, but it has to be current to the master file. I have posted in the excel forum, but the only answer has been to install the borland ODBC engine.

The queries are the stumbling block, I use them to pull out a list of tasks to be completed by each day of the week, 8 columns of info per day, five days across.

.. that's...,"eight columns of info per day five days of [rows]". Anyway.

You should be using some form of DBMS; be it Access, SQL Server, Mysql, or even the Borland Database Engine.
Personally I prefer the Microsoft tools. The Jet Database Engine and or Access.

You can use a sheet to store the data without using the above mentioned. But in either case my answer involves using VBA (or VB) to create a connection to the data source and dynamically build sheets on request.

The process can be called by any client and returns data from the data source in a formated excel sheet.

If this is what you have in mind, please let me know. I have to install old references on the laptop. M...osoft site is lacking in Excel 2000 specific information.

Amiel Summers

Amiel,

To be clear, I have a data sheet with approx 1500 rows of scheduled tasks, each having eight columns (fields) of data per task.

I want to be able to list the tasks scheduled for each day of a 4 week period in a way that keeps all eight fields of data together.

Curently I have use 4 worksheets, each with 5 microsoft queries corrresponding to the day of the week. The queries each display the 8 fields of data per record. The criteria is formuated by inputing the first monday of the 4 week period to look at then formulas populate all other criteria fields. (one for each of 20 queries)

I appreciate any help you can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back