Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exclusive error when 2+ users open, Shared not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullerTom

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
Everything was working fine the other day. We made changes to a number of reports and form. Now, when 2nd+ person opens system, they receive this error:

"You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

Have already set the database to open Shared as default.

No windows are open in design mode.

I'm just kind of dumbfounded. Already google'd this error and didn't find an answer either.

Thanks!

This implies multiple users are opening the same file simultaneously?

This being so, split the 'data' from the 'application' & give each user their own 'application' file.

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

Unfortunately, the system is running on a Citrix Metaframe server, and each client needs to be running the same COPY of the front end. Separate copies for individual users is not a feasible possibility.

Hi Tom, I'm guessing you got this resolved, in which case maybe you can help me with what I'm about to post on a related topic.

We've sometimes experienced (on a much less sophisticated, workstation-based system) that a lock file sometimes doesn't go away after the dbase has been used exclusively. It is supposed to close when the exclusive user logs out. It sits there in the same folder as the dbase making trouble. You can usually just delete the lock file, and then proceed as usual.

GL,

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back