Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exclusive db rights 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sblanche

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US
I had an Access 2000 DB, with multiple users, that ran fine with more than one user accessing at a time. The office upgraded to Access 2003 Friday night, I did not get any calls Monday about Access problems (could be that only one user had it opened at a time on Monday). Monday, night, SMS pushed Adobe 7.05 down. Now, one person can access the DB, but when the second tries, we get either an error message that says "The database has been placed in a state by user "admin" on machine ocw5106760 that prevents it from being opened or locked." and the DB will not even try to open-- or --the DBs switchboard opens and you get the error message "you do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes you may not be able to save them later."

Users are not required to enter a log in or password, the basic defaults for error checking have not been changed, under the Advanced, there is a check by "Open database using record level locking" (I have tried to removing it and still no luck).

Yesterday I thought I had found the problem by removing Adobe (which makes no sence). The second person could open the DB with out any problem. Today, the second user opening the DB is getting the error message. Unfortunately the "higher ups" keep using SMS to push heaven only knows what changes (including registry changes) to our computers without me knowing what they are doing. HELP. This is a major excedrine headache #1234. My DB is basically out of commission and I am stumped. I will continue to reseach but any help will be very, very appreciated.

Thanks,
slb

this might be a stretch, but I ran into a similar problem.

my problem turned out to be that the users did not have full read/write access to the drive where the front and back end were stored. once they got full read/write access, that problem went away. Oh, and the problem only surfaced with users running Access 2003.

The symptoms you describe are identical to the ones I had, though.

Turns out the problems was the Adobe Toolbar. I had to:
On the computer running Adobe, open the Add/Remove Programs dialog from
Control Panel.  Click on Adobe 7.0 Standard/Professional, and click
"Change/Remove".  Chose "Modify" from the wizard and when it gets to the
optional plug in page, chose the "Create Adobe PDF" item, then "Adobe
PDFMaker" item, and then click the "Access" item and choose "This feature
will not be available." This removes the toolbar plugin from Access and the
problem will be resolved!

SLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search