Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

excluding files to be backed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer2

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
Hello all,

Regarding Networker 5.5.1 on Solaris 7.

Would anybody have any information on how to exclude particular files from being backed up while the rest of the file system get backed up?

In particular, these are database files (oracle)that are being backing up using RMAN and they don't need to get backed up with the Default group.

I cannot find any useful documentation on how to do this.
I appreciate any help on this!

at wits end,
timmer2

Look at the docs on the website for "Directives"; I was able to skip NT temp files from my Solaris NW server.

Hi timmer,

I've posted this in a thread called "Local Directives" before:

You could define another Directive - the same as, say "Unix standard directive" and just add a
Code:
<< / >>
  ignore [\code]

This will ignore all the .nsr files in subsequent directories.

To skip files or directories put that into a directive and everything on that machine with that name will not be backed up.
[code]
<< / >>
  +skip: DIRNAME[\code]

The downside is that everything below that directory will not be backed up. Even subdirectories will be skipped.
If you do a filesystem Backup use this changed directive,
for the Database Backup use the standard directive.

Hope it helps...

Johanes

hi jkalbus,

Thank you for your informative response. I am unsure exactly how to go about creating this directive though. Where exactly do I do this? Do I open up a new file with vi and then type..

<< / >>
ignore

or

<< / >>
+skip: DIRNAME

...and then have some sort of pointer to that file?
I will continue to search for documentation.

Thank you once again!
Timmer2

You can create new directives through the networker gui. On unix go to customize | directives. The help | on window screen gives you some information, but the best place to learn about directives is in the man pages and admin guide.

Your directive will probably look something like this:

<< / >>
+skip: oradata

#This skips all oracle data directories starting at root

OR

<< /u01 >>

+skip: oradata

#/u01, /u02, /u03, etc is the standard directory structure for Oracle. So you need to add one entry for each directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back