Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exclude one field from output 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexisb

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
US
I created a query def that uses an existing query but selects records based on data selected in a multi-select box. The logic works fine. However, I just realized that the field being used as the selection criteria should not appear in the output so "select *" can't be used.

strSQL = "select * from qryExport where listname in (" & Me.txtFilter & ")"
Set qdf = dbs.CreateQueryDef("TempExportQry", strSQL)
DoCmd.OpenQuery "TempExportQry", acViewNormal
dbs.QueryDefs.Delete "TempExportQry"
Set qdf = Nothing
Set dbs = Nothing

I tried pasting the SQL code from View SQL of the query so I could just omit the one field from the select but it is very complicated with many quote marks and it isn't working.

Is there a way to exclude one field from the output but still use it as selection criteria?

Thanks,
Alexis

You are using an existing query, so why not list the fields, skipping the chosen field. Roughly:
[tt]For Each fld in rs.Fields
If fld.Name <> "TheOneChosen" Then
fldlist=fld.Name & ", "
End If
Next[/tt]

Remou's

should be
Code:
Dim fld as DAO.Field 
dim fldlist As String
Set rs = CurrentDB.OpenRecordset("select * from qryExport where listname='KOYKOY'", dbOpenForwardOnly)
For Each fld in rs.Fields
   If fld.Name <> "listname" Then fldlist = [b]fldlist[/b] & ", " & fld.Name
Next
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
fldlist = Mid(fldlist, 2)  & " " 

strSQL = "SELECT" & fldlist & "FROM qryExport WHERE  listname in ('" & Me.txtFilter & "')"

Thanks to both of you. This will work perfectly. I hadn't thought of the logic this way.

Alexis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back