Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exclude, exclusions, don't scan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyZ1

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
I'm looking for a list of exclusions.

I'll start

.evt files
some say the framework folder?? can someone confirm this?

anything else?

Living la vida ePO

We don't exclude anything exexpt certain things on our servers.

Depends upon application. In my environment I have separate sets of exclusions. Domain Controllers, exchange servers (along w/ groupwise), SQL servers, and etc. Any databases should be excepted as it can cause poor performance along with "other" issues. I know many people do not use them but they should be looked at.

Send an email out to your IT infrastructure leads to send down the chain asking for any exclusions. You shouldnt need to put any exclusions in unless other teams ask. We have already put in around 200 exclusions for our server policy and only have around 10 for our desktop policy.

yeah, we've got about 3 for our PC's, I'm just concerned with universal exceptions, trying to make sure I don't miss anything that might need to be excluded.

thanks for everyone's input...

Living la vida ePO

All of our exclusions are universal. We do so much renaming, moving, and deleting of both groups and machines that its pointless to do the exclusions at a lower level. If you delete a machine that doesnt has a specific policy and it reconnects it will get the top level policy which wont include any of the non-inheritaded exculsions you might have entered. The seperate policies for server and desktop help tho. We had to exclude all .jar files because of peformance problems.

Last week's McAfee weekly bulletin also had Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 (& GroupShield) exception lists. These were different then what I had excluded previously so all who have exchange should view.

I'm using 3.1.2 so if this is not applicable to higher versions then forgive me :)

Managing the policies and especially tasks in ePO is a pain in the <insert expletive here>. I create the policy I want and then export it out to a file. I then import it upon any other directories that should have the same policy. In my environment, I may have 30 or so directories with the same type of computer. This is a fair amount of importing but workable.

The policies only maintain the exception lists on the On-Access scanning. It does *not* maintain exception lists on the On-Demand scanning. This means that the ODS must be done manually per task. If you have multiple anti-virus installed this means multiple tasks to place exception lists on. This equates to a lot of time doing mind numbing data entry. Copying ODS exception lists is not possible. There may be differing opinions on whether ODS is necessary as it may only happen one scan per week but I do it just in case.

Hope this helps

Happy Holidays everyone!

winnt\ntds
winnt\sysvol
exchsrvr

most of this is for ADS and Exchange mailstores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back