Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange5.5 to 2003 migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmail

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2005
US
Some basic questions about BEST PRACTICES.

I'm running a mixed mode 2000 AD environment with Exchange 5.5 and want to move to Exchange 2003.
1. Do I need to be in Native Mode? (no NT servers or clients left)
2. Do I need Windows 2003 Server for the Exchange box?
3. If I want to migrate slowly, is there a way for me to set incoming mail to go to 5.5 first and if the user has been migrated then to 2003?
Thanks in advance.

In my experience:
1. Nope.
2. No. take a look at MS's Exchange 2k3 requirements. 3. That I didn't do, but I used the new version of ExMerge over a weekend and migrated all users to Exchange 2003. The new version gives you options to migrate to a PST file, or migrate directly to the new server, or to a pst then to the server. I also had some issues with mailbox size. Anyone over 2 GB wouldn't migrate directly. I had to export them to a PST manually then in their new mailbox import the PST.

I keep saying this, but be sure that if you're installing Exchange Standard, that your Private and Public information stores aren't more than 16GB combined. You will not be able to mount the information store in exchange and you will have import errors.
I hope I helped you a little.

If Google can't help, nothing can.
S.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back