Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange5.5 not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFred

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
AU
Hi Folks

I have a WinNT4(SP6) machine with MS-Exchange5.5 and MS-Proxy2. The machine is the mail server and NAT between the outside and a small private network. The set up is:-
DMZ.jpg

I can still access the internet through the machine, but the mail server is not working. On restarting it I get an error message that some services have failed. The event log shows that they are:-
Service Control Manager
MSFTPSVC
W3SVC

I've tried reinstalling (repair and replace damaged files options) NT4, Exchange5.5 and Proxy2. But still no Mail server. Can someone guide me as to the next step, and whether those failed services are relivant to this problem.

Thanks in anticipation. BF

Hi Folks

The Service Control Manager events showed that the MS Exchange Message Transfer Agent and the MS Exchange Internet Mail Service were not started.

I got the MS Exchange Message Transfer Agent working by adding the NetBios Interface in Services under Network Properties. Hence the Internal mail is now working.

However external mail is not and the MS Exchange Internet Mail Service is not working, when I attempt to start it I get an Error 2140 Internal Windows NT error occured.

A search of the MS Knowledge Base states that this error occurs when The MS Exchange Service Account is not an Administrator or part of the Administrator group.

Checked that and IMS certainly is a member of the Administrator group, with the correct password.

But it is in the Administrators Group, with the correct password.

Where to from here, please.

Help, please!

I'm had a very similar kind of a problem. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but try logging onto the local machine rather than the domain, and then going to User manager and checking the administrator account in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back